Global Perspectives – an introduction for prospective Project Managers
At Global Perspectives, Project Managers (PMs) have the fantastic opportunity of working for the best international healthcare consultancies from the comfort of Asturias. As a PM, the individual would become experienced in market research techniques through the management of international projects involving many different players throughout the world. By offering an unmatched client service, great PMs are essential for growing accounts and their career development is tailored to match their contribution to the business.
Global Perspectives provide all training in-house to cover market research and project management techniques. We are looking for talented, enthusiastic and open-minded individuals with a record of high achievement and an insatiable curiosity to join our trainee Market Research PM programme. An interested in business and market research is also essential although experience in these fields is not necessary.
Below, you can find a short description of the Global Perspectives business model and the PM role. Hopefully this will give you a good idea about whether this position sounds exciting to you.
THE NETWORKED INDIVIDUAL
For the first few years, Global Perspectives was a virtual network of three market research professionals in three different countries (UK, Spain and Belgium). The one thing we all shared is that we wanted to be able to serve an international client base without having to continue living in London. With the proliferation of high-speed internet in 2007, this was the perfect moment to work in such a way as it became possible to collaborate as a team and grow a network across country borders.
By 2011, we had created a network of International Local Experts who advise Global Perspectives on the feasibility of each project, and then undertake the market research tasks such as recruiting and interviewing patients. This network has grown and developed and allows us to run projects in over 50 countries around the world every year.
“Only by understanding the capabilities of our Local Experts can we design recruitment strategies that meet the needs of our clients” KJETILL HOWARD, KEY ACCOUNT DIRECTOR”
CREATING A USP
BY 2011, we had started to realise that combining our Project Management abilities with our network of Local Experts allowed us to do things that large international market research agencies and smaller local agencies could not. We had found a niche where our competitors find it difficult compete.
International network working to the same high standards. By bringing in Local Experts as and when needed, we have access to a tremendous amount of flexible resource. We created a “Local expert validation procedure” where Local Experts are trained on the quality standards that we expect of a Global Perspectives Team Member. We structure the team for individual projects so that Local Experts have enough space to be creative and solve problems, but must communicate and work to a set of Standard Operating Procedures that guarantees compliance with the project specification.
Being successful at projects that other market research companies would turn down. The problem-solving skills of our PMs and the flexibility of our network means we can take on projects that many of our competitors would turn down. Not only can we commit to these projects, but we can commit to being successful. 99% of projects that we start are successfully completed. We do this by collaborating our different resource at different moments within each project, so the GP Project Team shifts and morphs within individual projects depending on which strategy is being successful right now by making use of agile and iterative learning. We design strategies for future projects by learning from past experiences of what has been successful and why. While our projects start off with a patient recruitment strategy, this strategy may contain a Plan A, Plan B and Plan C which then change in priority as we learn over time.
Unmatched client service. Global Perspectives PMs are the day to day point of contact with the client and are responsible for the success of the projects. Our PMs are fantastic communicators and are able to access and analyse information quickly. This enables:
- An unparalleled client-PM relationship. The PM listens to the needs of the client and comes up with the best recruitment strategy. Feedback from Local Experts helps the PM take decisions to enable the success of the project.
- PMs must be very responsive. Our rule at Global Perspectives is to handle all communication within 1 hour of receiving it (during office hours). As we work with clients and Local Experts all over the world, at critical moments during the project, the PM may need to handle communication outside of office hours. Training and support is given to PMs internally to ensure that impact of communication outside office hours is minimal to the individual.
- Feeedback defines our every move. We always look to engage conversations with clients and Local Experts. Only through feedback can we continue to find solutions for our projects and continue to provide fantastic customer service
There are three types of projects that make perfect use of our USPs:
- Large international projects that need to bring together an ad-hoc team of market research professionals
- Projects that take place in countries that do not have a large market research offering
- Projects that need to use many different channels to do something difficult
The sector which has been the best fit for our USPs is healthcare market research where our clients want to recruit rare and difficult to reach patients, Healthcare Professionals or Payers. We tailor the patient recruitment methodology to each individual study using our network of Local Experts. The best recruitment strategy maximises feasibility while keeping costs down. Our strategies use the following recruitment techniques:
- Online panels
- Clinician referrals
- Patient Associations
- Social Media advertising and targeting
- Recruiter proprietary databases
- Traditional advertising
Our Local Expert network also provide supplementary services that are often essential to the success of the market research study:
- Moderators and Interviewers
- Online survey scripters and data processors
- Interviewing facilities
Here is an example of the type of project where we are very successful.
“Project Managers need to ensure the success of each project. It is exciting to think we have the power to do that from our seat in the office. At the beginning you might feel lost but there will be always somebody willing to help, and you will learn incredibly fast!” SONIA LOPEZ, PROJECT MANAGER
FROM START UP TO SCALE UP
As we grew, we decide to open an office in Oviedo to allow us to have greater Project Management capabilities. Although Oviedo does not have a tradition of market research, it is able to offer a great supply of talented young people who often have to leave Asturias for the chance to work in international business. Our plan was to capture these individuals before they left Asturias or offer a way for experienced professionals to return to Asturias.
We currently have seven PMs in our Oviedo office. For them, the journey has been challenging but very rewarding in terms of accomplishments, acquired skills, and career progression and financial reward. New PMs follow an intense induction process where the goal is to transfer the knowledge and harness the skills that will allow them to become a PM. The rate of learning must be relatively fast so that the PM can manage projects somewhat independently after the six month formation period, but it must be supportive while the PM works out how to do business and builds up their confidence.
“One of the things I really enjoy about working at Global Perspectives is the fact that you deal with people all around the world. You can talk to Japan in the morning, deal with Germany at lunch and have a meeting with Argentina late in the evening” PAULA GONZALEZ, PROJECT MANAGER
WHAT THE FUTURE WILL LOOK LIKE
Below is an illustration of our revenue growth over the past 9 years as we have established our client base. We have seen big growth in the past three years.
In the mid-term, our business model is well placed to help us enter new market sectors. We could look beyond healthcare market research and indeed even beyond market research. Our biggest advantage is our ability to align, train and bring together varied resource around the world quickly, efficiently and all working to the same quality standards. The PM role will remain critical for coordinating resource, communicating to clients and solving problems before they arise by rearranging resource in real time.
Global Perspectives is also well placed to thrive during the so-called third industrial revolution. We have no sunk-assets which we need to continue to squeeze revenue out of, and we bring in flexible resource as and when it is needed. Allied to this, is our increasing use of semi-automated tools in the areas of supplier selection, proposal generation and invoicing and accounting.
PEOPLE WE WANT TO HIRE
Over the past few years, it has been a pleasure to see our first recruits grow into outstanding market research Project Managers who are valued and trusted by our clients all around the world. It is incredible how they have matured and grown.
“Being a project manager is interesting because every day and every project is different, so you are constantly learning new things.” SARA SABINO, TRAINEE PROJECT MANAGER
From our experience, we have seen that the following types of people do really well in the Project Management position:
- Excited about international business. Talking to and getting to know people all over the world
- Self-confident. Not scared of new situations but like to prepare for them as much as possible
- Enjoy learning by looking at the information you currently have, and then identifying who to ask to get more information
- Want to progress their career according to their own individual progress and their contribution to the wider team
- Does not worry about being accountable for their actions or their work being measured and questioned
- Enjoys responsibility and does not shun responsibility
- Trusts and believes in the ability of other people, and trusts in their own ability to get the best out of other people
- An excellent critical thinker who is happy to form an opinion based on identifiable information to help take a decision
- Speaks excellent English. This is the language we speak in the office and to our clients and suppliers 90% of the time
In return, a Project Manager at Global Perspectives can expect to work in a dynamic and learning-enabled environment, receive a very competitive salary and progress at a fast pace. We have a tailored performance review scheme where PMs can set them own objectives and request to work in areas that interest them. Part of the performance review is to ensure that individual, team and business goals align.
We really hope that Global Perspectives sounds like an interesting place to work. Feel free to email me at any time at joe@global-perspectives. I will be very happy to talk and provide any further information.